A powertex workshop

Butterfly brain here has not settled on any projects recently.  Have been trying to teach myself to silver solder jump rings, mistressing this will give my sterling silver jewellery a nice finish and then I might be able to add them as an option to the shop.

Fortunately for me I discovered a Powertex workshop locally, knowing that my friend Jill is interested in this medium we went along.   I've been using this medium for a couple of years now but not had any form of tutorial or workshop experience with it previously.  We had a lot of fun and my ideas of working with this have been expanded.  Jill the tutor was interested in having someone with previous experience at the workshop, like all mixed media artists she in also interested in learning how other people do things.

Had so much fun I'm going back at the beginning of September for their next workshop.  The providers are Purple Meadow Arts and Crafts.



I opted to decorate an MDF seahorse.  I did not realise until we were done that we were using Black Powertex, a new base for me.  It is not different than another colour just black and that was a surprise.   All the fabric and embellishments were provided for us and that also shows different ideas to try.  Next new to me fact, the initial drying of powertex can be done with a heat gun.  Knowing that warmth softens previously set projects it had not occur to me that it would work to help the initial drying process.   That fact alone will make a big difference to my approach in future.   

When everything is touch dry, dry brushing is used to apply colour.  How much or how little you use is entirely personal.  Most people opt for very colourful but I've always just used touches to bring out the pattens and textures of the fabric layers and embellishments.  This means that my seahorse is darker and might seem duller than the others.  My two pictures above show it in a less well lit spot in the living room, cream wall.  And against the pink shower room wall facing the window.  I did debate adding more colour when i got home but decided against it.


Here are the results from the workshop today, 3 of us worked on seahorses, the other 4 encased wine glasses.  Those glasses are another very interesting and tempting idea.

I'm sharing my seahorse with my favourite mixed media/altered art challenges that are Anything Goes or have themes that it fits into.

A Perfect Time to Craft - A monthly Anything Goes Challenge.

Altered Eclectics - A monthly Anything Mixed Media/Altered Art Goes.

Country View Challenges - Monthly with the theme Sun, Sea, and Sand.

Love to Craft - A monthly Anything Goes Challenge

Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge - A monthly Anything Mixed Media Goes challenge.

Not all my favourite challenges are here, got to keep a challenge or two in reserve for another project or two.  Getting on me bike now!


Comments

  1. Oh wow wow wow. This is fantastic. I would like to invite you to join our new monthly challenge over at Morgan’s Artworld Open Challenge each month. New Prizes, Certificates and Badges plus Images. Videos/Slideshows too. Enter any Image or Project, 3 entries permitted and Theme is “Always Anything Goes”. Love to see you enter each month. Hope you enter and keep us on your Challenge Blog Monthly List. Annette DT forhttp://morgansartworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank your Annette, I am aware of Morgans Art World but have never thought that my kind of projects would fit there. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little seahorses ! Thank you so much for taking part in my 'sun, sea and sand' Challenge over at Country View Challenges.
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done with that amazing seahorse. I think the colours you've used are spot on and look fabulous. The elements you've used give your project so much texture and interest. I have never used this product but wow does it look amazing. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely project. Thanks for joining in with the Country View Crafts challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great result on your workshop! I love the dramatic feel of this seahorse, and the fabulous textures. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste Mixed media challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is amazing Thank you for sharing with us over here at "A Perfect Time To Craft" and best of luck with your entry.

    Michelle DT for http://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au/


    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Project!!
    Angie Scrapchild DT for https://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this project, Powertex looks amazing, I've only tried once but must do so again, I just hope it turns out this well. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully detailed design! Thanks for joining in the challenge at CVC - good luck and hope to see you again, Teresa DT x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop and leave a comment I love reading what you have to say. Recently I have been experiencing an error message when I try to leave a comment on my return visit. I make every effort to to come over and see your art works and hope this glitch will be resolved soon. xxx