By the Sea

Just about all my life I have lived near the coast, by near I mean 4 or 5 miles from the sea.  When I moved from the South Coast to where I am today it did not matter much to me where my new home would be; just that it had to be near the sea.  It is not that I enjoy swimming, and if I did then it would be a heated pool.  Nor does lying on a towel on the beach getting sand every where not to mention sun burn do it for me.   It is just comforting somehow to know that there is sea nearby, and during the out of season months (about 9 months of the year here in the UK) the shore is a wonderful place to go for a walk.

Where is all this talk leading you might be wondering, well to the card I'm sharing with you today of course.   Initially inspired by Dies R Us, and their prompt of Seas the Day this started with a Tag.


The Tag is a melody of mixed media, with stamps by Kanban and Inkylicious, Inks used for stamping and colouring Memento, Stayzon, Distress.   There was some masking so only part of the sunken ship could be seen, there was some "painting" with Imagination Crafts Starlights, and highlighting with a Sakura pen.   The feature fish were stamped and coloured with Chameleon Pens and then fussy cut.   Twisted Sari Silk attached at the top provides movement and the suggestion of sea weed.  Once the elements (apart from the die cut letters) were all in place the tag was spritzed with water which lifted some distress ink and giving more contrast in the background.

Next came the elements that turned the tag into a card topper, A base card of light Aqua colour was chosen in keeping with the overall them.   A Tim Holtz label/ticket holder was die cut in a contrasting blue, this is one of the sizzix thinlets dies.   The Florida ticket is from a Tim Holtz collection of sticky backed labels this one was stuck to a piece of paper and trimmed.   The torn paper came from a long hoarded collection from a Stampington subscription, the same sheet used with an Xcut die for all the letters.    Finally the little anchor charm was added, just because.

I have never been to Florida, or the US for that matter, but one of my cousins moved there in 1946 when he was about 23.  His descendants remain there and recently it has been a delight getting to know them a little.  Who knows maybe I will meet them one day but there are no plans currently.

I am also entering this into the following challenges

A Bit More Time To Craft - Always anything Goes (fortnightly)
The Crafters Cafe - Anything Goes (fortnightly)
Classic Design Challenge - Anything Goes (monthly)
Love to Craft - Anything Goes (monthly)

OK own up, who has hidden all the mixed media/altered art challenges that there used to be?  

Coming to the end of the 6th week of Social Isolation here in the UK, starting to expect some easing of restrictions next week or certainly by the second week of May.  My son, the chef, ever the optimist believes we will go back into full lock down in June.   Cheerful whatsit isn't he?  Take care, stay safe and HAVE FUN





Comments

  1. Beautiful nautical tag, then a card, fabulous.
    Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Chrissy DT  https://classicdesignchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully crafted. Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous mixed media card. The tag topper looks great and I love all the elements and how you masked the ship so it would be slightly sunken x.
    Yes I love living by the sea too and mainly for the walks too and the wonderful views and sunsets x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely awesome and I love how you did the sentiment! Very creative design! I have never lived 'by the water' but I can certainly understand the calm that comes over you when walking along the water's edge and listening to the sound of the waves splashing along the shore. Living in Ohio, USA, we too are in lockdown and things are JUST beginning to open up but I too fear that people will be TOO anxious to get 'back to normal' and through us right back into a bad situation. Praying people are smart and continue washing their hands as well as keeping a safe distance from one another. Thanks for such a wonderful glimpse into your life in the UK and Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Dies R Us challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DIES R US
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tag is gorgeous and then adding the elements of the card topper made it more fun. Great card! Thanks for joining the challenge at Love To Craft Challenge Blog. Dorlene DT LTCCB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop and leave a comment I love reading what you have to say. Recently I have been experiencing an error message when I try to leave a comment on my return visit. I make every effort to to come over and see your art works and hope this glitch will be resolved soon. xxx