Laugh

Yesterday I started to think about CAS Mix up Challenge for this month.  The main challenge there is Gesso resist.  I have stamped with Gesso in the past and love the effect.  What stopped me in my tracks was remembering that this is a CAS challenge.

Selected a stamp applied gesso and got a great impression, waited for it to dry, applied distress inks, swiped with a baby wipe.  Oh for goodness sake the gesso was not completely dry and it smudged.  Hay ho not overly pleased with how it looked.  

Found another stamp applied gesso and waited.  This time the stamp was not a good enough quality to get a decent impression.  Gave up and went to bed.

Decided to use the word LAUGH and yes I have a stencil (Tando I think) with the very word on it.   Place stencil on card tap gesso over stencil and wait.  When dry apply colour, so far so good.  Decided to add a pair of eyes found the stamp used felt pens to directly apply colour to rubber, checked image coloured correctly re inked it and stamped card.  Did not like result so abandoned this attempt.   There was yet another failed attempt so gave up for the day or so I thought.

Started to have a wander around blogland and entries in the Less is More challenge.  There I found an entry by Jen.  Jen is the host for the current Freshly Made Sketches challenge which ends tomorrow.    Not usually a problem but the sketch is the solution to my problem.

Stampin' up ink splatter stamp in Adirondack Red.  Laugh stencilled over in gesso.  When dry a piece of torn card made a mask to go below the word.  Barn Door distress in blended over.  A quick spritz with water and baby wipe over the letters not spritzed.  Hay Presto one "quick" and easy CAS card.


and here is the sketch that saved the day.


Comments

  1. I so chuckled throughout your post Zoe....I am so glad you persevered, as your card is CAS, so artsy and unique. ....and yes made me laugh!
    I am always mindful of the definition of CAS being Clean and Simple....and I rarely achieve the simple part and struggle with the clean bit too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar experiences with gesso and chucked more than one piece! I'm so glad you persevered and came up with the perfect combination and kept it perfectly CAS too! Love the red and these days we need to remember to laugh! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great take on the sketch! Your 'laugh' word look fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you stuck with it ....... your card is stunning! Perfectly CAS and great results from the gesso resist technique. Right now, I think we all need to remember to Laugh! Thank you for playing along with the CAS Mix Up Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you didn't give up and made this wonderful monochromatic CAS card! The combination of the splatter stamped image and the sponging looks fabulous with the gesso stenciled sentiment! Love the way you used a piece of torn card as a mask! Thank you so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab make and colour too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! 10/10 for sticking with it and 10/10 for the result too! You've showed the technique off perfectly and still kept that clean, crisp CAS look. I really felt for you reading about all the mishaps - I think we've all been there (I do that most times I make a card!!!) but you have ended up with a fab card. Thanks so much for brightening our day with this at Less is More xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop and leave a comment I love reading what you have to say. Recently I have been experiencing an error message when I try to leave a comment on my return visit. I make every effort to to come over and see your art works and hope this glitch will be resolved soon. xxx