Mixed Media Pallet

Boy is it warm outside today a proper summers day.  I did the rain dance yesterday of cutting the green stuff.   Contact with the world wise things are much the same here I muck around in the craft room while the chef (my son) prepares fabulous food and plays music.  He likes to party while he cooks and who am I to complain when he cooks as well as he does.

So today was mostly mucking around outside.


In the UK we have (well we will have to see if they survive recent events) a great chain of shops called "The Works".  It is a fabulous place to find art stuff at very reasonable prices like the ply board pallet that is the base of this.

Initially I tried a sort of acrylic pour, but my paint was not fluid enough and it became a gloopy textured piece.  Which I quite liked but did not think I could take any further.  I also laid some paper and cling film over it and have those tucked away for future projects.   Over night my sub conscious advised me about what to do with it.


First white Gesso covered the whole surface, and I was delighted that it reactivated some blue spray that had been applied originally.  The delicate blue of the gesso fitted perfectly with my plan.   Next using those same acrylic paints an ombre of blue has been blended down the piece, the wonderful texture from the acrylic below meant that the blues did not fill every nook and cranny so in parts the gesso peeps through.


Something I have not played with since my artsy side reactivated is Powertex.   For those who are not familiar with this medium it is a substance that works best with natural fibres and will over the period of abut 3 weeks make fabric coated with it rigid holding any folds or shapes they were moved into.  It also dries as a glue for other things coated with it.  All the elements were laid out first to see how they would work, once the design was worked out the various elements were coated and placed on the board.   

After about 45 minuets if left to air dry, powertex is ready to take paint.  If you go to a Powertex class you will be shown how to dry brush paint pigment over your piece and it is very effective.  Today I wanted to use different mediums.  Imagination Crafts Starlight paint in Sand and Blue.   Glimmer mist in 3 different shades of blue, a golden yellow and pearl sprayed over different areas.  I stopped here feeling that anymore would take it over the top although there is a plaster of paris tomb stone I could add.

One challenge strongly influenced this piece, Addicted to Stamps and More picture inspiration.  I fell in love with the inspiration both the picture and the wonderful work from the team.


Not Just Cards - Always Anything Goes
Bleeding Art - Always Anything Mixed Media Goes
More Mixed Media - Always Anything Goes (optional pink not used)


Comments

  1. Hi Zoe, I love how you have created this piece, you have created fantastic texture & shown some wonderful techniques & with the additional embellishments it all came together making great art! Thank you for taking part in our challenge, good luck
    Jane 🌴 Bleeding Art DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried powertext Zoe. What a glorious mixed media project full of texture and so very unique and love the added elements x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art Challenges ~ Elle xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best things always come to us whilst we are asleep. I have a note book by my bed, to write things in when I wake up with an idea. Half the time I can't remember writing in it!!
    Just love what you have done here, looks great

    Thank you for sharing with us over at 'Not Just Cards' this month
    Stay Safe
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop and leave a comment I love reading what you have to say. Recently I have been experiencing an error message when I try to leave a comment on my return visit. I make every effort to to come over and see your art works and hope this glitch will be resolved soon. xxx