Sunday, 25 January 2015

Playing with colour and Woodware

This was Saturday's fun.

3 water colour postcards.   Aquatints Brights all 6 colours.  Archival black ink and Woodware stamps.    Glossy accents with a light sprinkle of glitter.   Whisper pens to enforce the detail.

Result fingers and hands beautifully multicoloured.   Hardest part finding the seed head stamps used on the 2 outside postcards.  The joys of moving home, still have not found my crocodiles.

Backing a piece of card from some packaging saved because I might have a use for it.   Painted with white gesso and a scrap piece of DP laid over the middle.

Great messy fun getting m back into the game.

There was a lot of cleaning to do, the paintbrush and the little trays the paints were dripped into.   A baby wipe did the job same one for all tasks and colours.   So pretty when it dried.

Trimmed baby wipe to size with a piece of acetate (it used to be part of a report cover) matched to go over the top stamped with stayzon and Woodware stamps.   The edges of the white card blank lightly dusted with pale Adirondack dye based inks.    Some very old flower topped brads hold everything together.  

The background reminds me of the shaving foam technique without all the mess and drying time.

Red Rubber Inspirationals - Anything goes with Stamping Focus.
Mixed Media Card Challenge - New Stamps and Aquatints.  Can use tissue I haven't unless you count the baby wipe.

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Green Ombre

It's a card!  Made with one of the terrific new Woodware stamps, got mine from the Stamp Man.   3 green pens, my new Chameleon Pens that I am still getting to grips with, 1 green ink pad, Memento A Stamping' up stamp, green ribbon and a little shabby shutter dusted around the edge of the tag.   Bit of a green theme going on here, well it is my favourite colour.   The sentiment from the Woodware set reads, "of all the gifts life could send ... ... the best is knowing that you're my friend" There are quite a few people that sentiment applies to.

So what inspired this burst of creativity?

Less is More - Friends
Inkspirational - Ombre

Then I saw that the CASology theme this week is also Friends, gotta be done.

Think now Christmas is out of the way my Mojo is resurfacing, mind you one cuckoo doe's not make a spring.

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Black and Gold Mask

I do not like the way pictures work on blogger from the newest operating system from Apple.   The tidy version of these are not accepted by blogger some learning needed me thinks.

This mask blank has been travelling with me for years, just did not know what to do with it until recently.    All the masks I still have (I love giving the away but have kept a few special to me ones), are now on the wall of my new home.

As you can see there is a bit of a hole in the middle, well the previous owners had other things, lots of other things. hanging all along the hall and up the stairs and probably filled that gap.   Anyway having  a gap stirred me into using the largest mask blank in my stash.

2 coats of black Gesso, freehand stamping and the use of gold ep and the basic design is done.  More ep used to outline the eye sockets a black rhinestone and some gold ones added with silicone glue add to the design.   Finally a piece of cord wrapped in gold foil of some kind threaded through the eye sockets and glued in place.   The completed whole sprayed with spray and shine varnish.  It took a week to complete with drying time!

So did it work? Or will I have to do another one?   Oh yes the pink walls!  The previous owners must have liked pink they used it all over this house.   Another altered art project for my future.

Sharing my Black and Gold mask with
Rhoda's Creative Spirit - Always Anything Altered
2 Creative Chicks - Always Anything Goes but no cards

Right there is no getting away from it any longer the house is demanding some attention, no not with paint but the sucky thing and it's companions.

Saturday, 3 January 2015

Happy 2015

Boxing day saw me driving over to Hull, I just love going over the Humber Bridge.   Of course I bagged some goodies, including this 30cm x 100cm box canvas.  I've never worked on a such a long thin surface though and was not sure what I was going to do with it.   The Popart sunflower idea presented itself before I had left the shop.

Once home I looked on line a lots of images of sunflowers, taking inspiration from these the flower was drawn onto the canvas.    Outline in place I started with Spectrum Noir AquaTints, mistake.   Even when dry between different colour applications the colours would bleed and blend.  Not so terrible with the stem but did not think the petals would look so great with green blurred outlines.   Good thing I have such a great range of good quality acrylic paints.

Once the basic background and stem were laid down a small tube of no nails was used to outline part of the flower head.   When that had gone off the basic yellow and orange/yellow mix filled the image.  Next Bronze colour acrylic filled the centre, if you look at the head of a sunflower you will see a patten in the seeds which I tried to emulate with the paint.   I used to have a great stencil with graduated circles it had to be cut down so that it could be used in the centre here, black felt pen applied through the holes for the seed head.    A line of Emerald coloured acrylic paint runs up the stem, with a thinner line of copper texture paint beside it.   Orca yellow paint applied in the same way outlines petals not marked by no nails.   Finally when everything was dry (pretty much) tacky drying glue and gliding flakes were added to the leaves and parts of the flower.

Now hanging in the living room.   There are not really any challenges to share this with so I'm simply sharing it with you.

Happy New Year.